Yes, we can do your legal work virtually, we've been doing it for years. That is why if you google California Virtual Law Firm we are usually on the first page.
While it’s still hard to tell how the Coronavirus (COVID-19) will impact us long term, we want you to know that we are taking it seriously and handling everything with care. In order to prioritize everyone’s welfare, we’re taking measures to respect the gravity of the situation, and would like to empower you to make informed decisions for you and your family.
If you need some good news, we have set up a silver linings page here. It turns out there have been some positive effects of everyone staying home for the environment.
We know many of you are feeling anxious about the news and want to be proactive and make sure you have an up-to-date, comprehensive estate plan that includes detailed health care directives, financial powers of attorney, and makes things as easy as possible for your family if you become sick. We are still available and happy to help you get your estate planning finalized, but please read on to see what precautions we are taking around the office.
Meanwhile, for anyone social distancing with minor children at home, we have set up a FREE nomination for guardianship for minor children on our website. Please share it around with anyone who needs it. For parents, this is step one and the minimum that needs to be done to protect kids. It can be printed out on a home printer.
If you have college age children, know that once they turned 18, your parental rights were cut off. If they don’t have health care directives and financial power of attorney in place, they will need to set them up to give you the power to help them. Have them use our free Advanced Health Care Directive and appoint you as their agent for health care decisions if they are incapacitated. Also, hire us to craft a financial power of attorney that fits their situation.
Being in the estate planning business, we know first hand how critical these documents are so please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions during this time of concern.
What We’re Doing to Protect Our Team and Clients
As is always the case--nothing is more certain in life but change. That’s why at Fine Point Law, we’ve always focused on changing, improving, and adapting.
- We are prepared to do 90% of our work via phone or video conferencing. Unfortunately, estate planning documents cannot be signed electronically unless California passes a distance notary law. Thus, we are reaching out to each client and individually planning on how to complete the signing of their documents.
- We are fully complying with the Santa Cruz ordinance to shelter in place.
- If and when there is an in person meeting, we have adopted a ‘no hand-shaking’ policy. If and when a team member is at the office, upon arriving, each team member is washing his or her hands and disinfecting his or her workstation. Client meeting rooms are being disinfected in between each meeting.
- Our policy has always been and remains that any member of our team who isn’t feeling well is encouraged to stay home. We can’t do our best work for our clients unless we keep ourselves, each other, and our clients healthy.
- Everyone on our team has a laptop and is able to work remotely, and some members of our team were already fully virtual, so we can keep helping our clients, even if it becomes necessary to quarantine. We will continue to monitor the coronavirus situation very closely, with the safety of our clients and our team as our top priority.
How You Can Help
- We always like to give our clients the option of filling out their questionnaires on paper or electronically. However, due to limited time at the office we are asking that everyone use the electronic versions of the forms. If you need it re-sent please contact us.
- If you have an in-person meeting coming up over the next week we will contact you to find out what technology you have at home that could facilitate either a telephone call or a video call. If your appointment is farther out and you want to reschedule or tell us how to accommodate you please contact us.
Bottom line: We are fully prepared and committed to moving you forward towards your goals and help you have peace of mind that your affairs are in order.
If you need assistance with something, please ask us. We’ll do everything we can to offer it.
Let’s get through this together. Onward!
and the Fine Point Team